Sports management is a booming career. With sports analysts being hired by giant organizations, popular athletes, and teams, it is expected that there will be an increase in the number of sports leagues, their rising popularity, and corporate investment in the future. Those in sports management are getting highly remunerated as the sports industry has shown a bullish run in the past decade in this country.
What has been the growth in the sports industry globally and in India?
Just in a year, the sports industry grew from $486.61 billion to $512.14 billion in 2023 at a CAGR of 5.2%. By 2026, the global sports market is expected to cross 707+ billion. (Source: the business research company). The market size of the sports industry in India alone is INR 100+ billion.
( Source: Statista)
The growth of cricket and other sports in the last decade is not hidden from anyone but the same growth was not seen in sports management professionals in the country. Basically, the demand for sports management professionals is way higher than the supply in our country. And, many fewer were there in the past decades who wished to convert their passion for sports into a sports profession. Now, with the massive growth of the sports industry and a surge in government investment and efforts in sports programs, the sports industry is leaping ahead like anything.
Some of the sports promotion initiatives by the Government are
- Khelo India Scheme
- Assistance to National Sports Federation
- National Sports Academy Scheme
- National Sports Talent Content Scheme
What is the average salary of sports management professionals?
The average salary of sports management professionals ranges somewhere between 15 lakhs to 50 lakhs/per annum.
Let’s have a look at the global salary scenario of sports management professionals.
Source: All businessschools.com
What is an MBA in Sports or Sports Management program?
Sports Management or MBA in Sports is learning and gaining skills in the business of sports. Here you are involved in sports contracts, sponsorships, sports analytics, sports brand management, sports events management, management of sports services like stadiums and such, managing legal aspects of sports, sports operations and projects, and a lot more
Source: All businessschools.com
What is the duration of the Sports Management program?
At the Bachelors level, the duration is 3 years and for the Master in Sports Management, the duration is 2 years
What is the curriculum of the Masters in Sports Management ( MBA)?
The curriculum includes
- Business Communication
- Organization Design
- Managerial Economics
- Marketing Management – I
- Organizational Behavior
- Business Research Methods and Statistics
- Financial Reporting,
Statements and Analysis
- Microsoft Office Specialist*
- Open Elective – 1
- Project 1: Fundamentals of Innovation and Venture Development in Entrepreneurship – 1**
- Indian Financial System
- Indian Economic Policies and Reforms
- Operations Research
- Marketing Management-II
- Human Resources Management (HRM)
- Sports Financing
- Consumer Behavior and Customer Relationship Management (CB & CRM)
- Sports Economics
- Sports Psychology
- Indian Sports Management Activities
- Sports Management & Diplomacy
- Open Elective – 2
- Project 2: Fundamentals of Innovation and Venture Development in Entrepreneurship – 2**
- Operations and Project Management
- Sports Sponsorship and Merchandizing
- Brand Management in Sports
- Sports Event & Facility Management E-Commerce for Sports
- Sport Mass Media
- Retail Management for Sports
- Fair Competition in Sport
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Leadership in Sports
- Disaster Management*
- Project 3 – Group Project
- Summer Internship Project** (SIP)
- Business Law
- Indian Ethos and Business Ethics
- Corporate Strategy
- Services Management
- Sports Analytics
- Ethics in Sports
- Sports Broadcasting & Publication
- Sports and Law
- Project 4: Capstone Project*
This is the curriculum developed by MBA-ESG.
What are the top brands hiring professionals with a sports management degree?
The top brands hiring professionals with a sports management degree include
- The Top Sports Wear Brands like Nike, Puma, Adidas, Reebok, New Balance, Converse and many more
- The Top Sports Media and Events firms like Sporty Solutions, IMG-Reliance, CNBC Sports, Hotstar Sports, Twenty-First Century Media, and a lot of others
- The Top Stadium and Venue Management firms
- The Top Sports Sponsorships and Contract Management firms
- Top Sports wearable technology brands like Whoop, Apple, Fitbit, Samsung, Xiaomi, Garmin, and more
- Top Sports consultancies firms like Ernst and Young, KPMG, Deloitte, BCG, and such
- Top Sporting goods and equipment manufacturers like Cosco, Columbia, Nike, Provogue, and a lot more
There are other sports analytics, sports ethics, and legal firms along with sports financial firms that hire sports management professionals
What are the emerging careers in sports management?
Here are the 5 types of emerging careers in sports management one can choose from:
Administrators carry out a wide range of administrative tasks for a sports organization or team. Right from general administrative tasks to handling supply-chain management, scheduling sports events, managing budgets, or overseeing recruitment and training of staff, all are parts of the sports administration department. A sports administrator’s role is to focus on the smooth functioning of the organization and the events he/she is in charge of. This profile includes preparing and editing documents like letters, reports, memos, and emails, resolving problems, tracking information, maintaining databases, etc.
Opportunities in this domain are in demand basically in clubs, academies, schools, governing bodies, sports events, etc.
Operations and Logistics
The role of Operations and logistics professionals consists of overseeing all vital elements of a sports event. Primarily this role demands the successful execution of a sports event that includes planning, promoting, executing, and broadcasting the event. They are organized and active individuals who follow constant discipline. Operations and logistics professionals need to coordinate with all other departments in the organization. This role also requires certain soft skills as they need to negotiate and deal with vendors, lead a team of volunteers, assign tasks, manage crises, etc.
Their work involves liaisons between fans, the venue, and management, game day coordinators help to create a lively, engaging environment and ensure that the event is a pleasant experience for all attendees, planning, organizing, and executing camps and tournaments, venue management, coordinating with agencies, drawing up calendars and schedules and business development, among other areas.
Individuals who like the hustle-bustle of sports on-field action, coordination, and management and are good at multi-tasking will be the best opportunity.
Sales and Marketing
Sales & Marketing is an extensive field in the sports industry that encompasses areas like Business Development, Sponsorship, Digital Marketing, Brand Awareness, and Promotions.
Sports marketing professionals’ role is planning, creating, and executing all marketing and brand awareness activities of the organization.
They must be updated with all industry news, continuously looking for new business avenues to explore.
Overall a sports marketing specialist has the following roles:
- Creating marketing campaigns & strategies.
- Bringing in more sponsors and working on further coordination with them
- Creating a buzz around its team or players and drawing more public interest
- Increasing the fan base of the teams or players
- Increasing the brand value and looking for more business opportunities.
- Communicating effectively the brand’s vision with regular updates
- Enhancing the brand image of the organization
Sports sales jobs are prominent at sports networks, sports websites, sports agencies, and sports marketing firms. Emerging sales jobs includes inside sales rep, premium seating, sponsorship sales, corporate sales, group sales, regional sales, etc.
This job requires a certain set of skills and knowledge as companies rely on these experts to carry out the entire marketing venture and communication for them.
Nutritionist, Coach, Trainer & Physiotherapist
As the sports industry is advancing and the game is getting more competitive, athletes are required to maintain the correct diet and nutrition provided to maintain fitness. Sports nutrition career is one of the top emerging careers in the arena. Often these nutritionists are certified, licensed, or registered with specialized training and expertise in fitness and sports.
Fitness and Coaching
For every sports superstar, there is a coach and mentor behind them who shared their knowledge and developed the skills of the athlete. If you are passionate about teaching and imparting your sports knowledge, then this might be a suitable career for you. To start coaching, it is not mandatory to have a degree although there are courses available in this domain. Professional athletes or senior players are usually seen pursuing this career option in India.
Sports physiotherapists are professionals who help and treat athletes with sports injuries during a match. They must have sports-specific knowledge to examine and treat injuries efficiently. One can acquire a diploma or bachelor’s degree to seek this career option.
Media & Communications
There are more broadcasting channels and digital platforms today than ever before. There is an abundance of opportunities to create content to cater to all the sports followers and fans across these platforms.
Sports broadcasting is one of the biggest revenue-generating sources for any major league or event.
Sports brands look for individuals who have a knack for good content creation & clear communication skills to manage information.
This field includes sports writing, broadcast, journalism, photography sports production, media, and sports promotion, show hosting, commentating, etc.
Also Read: Simone Biles Prioritizing Mental Health
What are the different jobs for Sports Management professionals?
The different jobs for professionals with a sports management degree
- Sports Event manager
- Sports Facilities Manager
- Sports Finance Manager
- Sports Production Manager
- Athletic Director
- Sports PR specialist
- Sports Media Manager
- Contract Administrator
- Contract Analyst
- Sports Operations Director
- Facility Operations Manager
- Sports Equipment Retailer
- Sports Marketing Consultant
- Team Manager
- Sports Fitness Manager
And a lot more…
If you have a passion for sports and you want to pursue a career in the Sports arena, you may consider an MBA in Sports Management at MBA-ESG. This 2 year MBA program will open avenues for a thriving global career in sports management for you. To know more, explore our website.