Sports Law and Its Application in the Sports Industry – Guest Lecture
To understand Sports law and how it is applied in the real world of the sports industry.
The world of sports is not above the law. It does have its rules and regulations, both on and off the field that is to be followed industriously. Law is essential from every point of view in the sports industry.
The primary reason law is a necessity for the sports ecosystem is because a meticulous and structured legal system protects the economy and business environment. Sports law dictates the terms and conditions of a sport because many entities plan their policy and terms within the law of the nation. Since the sports industry is exposed to international entities and stakeholders, a strong law to improve international relations and avoiding any conflict is required. For instance, double tax avoidance agreements.
Take a look at the breakdown of the sports ecosystem with respect to IPL and ISL, along with few international leagues.
- Commercializing assets of a company and minute details behind broadcasting
- Tax structure for players and leagues
- How law comes into play in ICC events and what are the rights of the ICC? What can go wrong and how to tackle it?
- What are the rules of sponsorship and players’ rights?
- The role of media and their intervention
- Ticketing terms and condition assessments
- Branding and bidding in such high-class events
- What are the rights of the franchise?
- Laws to be considered while signing a player
- Use of intellectual property rights in sports
- Promotion and contest prizes
- Displaying product/services and rules to follow to display them adequately
- Interaction with images of the league and the rights to use them
- Sponsorship fee, performance-based bonus, license fee, barter/in-kind, service fee and consultation fee
- License fee for a club, including purchase and royalty
- Difference between rights and agreement.
- Partner’s power
- Internal stadium threats – Streaming live, ambush marketing, etc.
- External threats – Piracy, taping from TV, news access over footage/video of sporting event and rules for its use
- Infringement causing money loss to the broadcasting company
ROLE OF SPORTS LAWYERS
- Agreement and its clarity over events
- Public caution notice
- Brand and content protection
- Advance notifications to sponsor/partner competition
- Venue access and various accompanying aspects such as,
- Ticketing terms and condition
- Media accreditations
- News access regulation for India
- Rights protection and awareness with modern changes to rights and law
Contest monitoring and enforcement